Wednesday, June 30, 2010

For Those Too Lazy To Take Down Their Christmas Lights

Hung like Christmas lights in mid-July
I’ve got my tongue caught up in a bear trap
I’m losing sight of everything that I’ve wanted to write.
She placed a hand on mine and I wished the world away
My eyes were opened and I couldn’t see
oh the Heavens know the things I wish to say when I sit to type.
These fingers stretch out like branches of barren trees
The fruit is rotten and falling while worms nibble at the roots.
Vines stretch forth and choke the earth around the trunk.
This burden is so easy and the yolk is yellowed
I want my soul to be poured out like water not held inside this bucket whilst I make a ruckus and shake a little bit of my thoughts out over the sides
I think I’ve run out of things to say that are of importance
so I will stand here and yell nonsense at the top of my lungs just to silence the crowd and feel like I’m in control of the ocean
No! Screw the ocean, man! I want to be in charge of the rotation of the earth
so If I move left fast enough I can bring everything back to perfection
I’m not even a perfectionist but I love the harmonies you sing to their swan song
and I want to be the melody but my voice only sings in the key of C and E is a distant dream to a vagabond like me
Sojourners and refugees make a home on a piece of cardboard to soak up your tears
I’M SO SICK OF THIS SHOW
Who are the Kardashians anyway?
Bring the justice and righteousness like a flood
make it flash and we will have a celebration as the whole world dies off again
Again? When was the first time?
I’m sorry your Sunday school doesn’t tell you that God killed EVERYONE when Noah sailed off high and dry.
Let’s argue this out, and you can call it a debate.
I’m still searching for something solid to write on. To place my hopes on.
I’ve lost my eyes in the light.
My name is Eli.
I’m strung out on thoughts like Christmas lights in mid-July.
Just leave me up and eventually I’ll find my season again.

No comments:

Post a Comment